Monday, January 06, 2014

Dog Days of...Winter?

The past week or so it has been absurdly cold, and it just seems to be getting worse. Needless to say, I have been holed up in my nice warm house for the most part. However, everyone has to venture out now and again. The other day it was relatively nice out, so we decided to take our puppy for a short walk to get out some energy. The boyfriend and I bundled up and off we went.

I have always thought dog coats were a little silly, what kind of dog needs a coat? I mean they have fur, am I right? I always thought it was about the owner showing off. Well, on this walk, I completely changed my mind. Poor puppy started limping from the snow and cold concrete on her paws and she was shivering from the wind. My heart absolutely broke, I made boyfriend carry her the rest of the way home.

Sad story aside, you need to think about your furry friend during this super cold spell we're having. Here are some picks for keeping your fur baby happy throughout the winter.


Waxed Jacked | A jacket to keep the shivers away. I think this one is actually tolerable and doesn't look as silly as some dog coats. I definitely think this is on Bella's birthday/christmas list for next year. 

Booties | These booties will keep ice balls out of her toes and her sensitive paws off the freezing pavement. After our walk the other day, I'm starting to see these as a must have. Not for every day of course but for those couple weeks a year where temps drop and theres a lot of snow, ice and salt on the ground. 

Musher's Secret Paw Protector | I've also noticed that lately Bella's paw pads are really dry, to the point of cracking. I want to get her something to soothe her feet. This brand has great reviews and its all natural. I was also reading that coconut oil works well too. I'll have too dry it and check back. 

Oatmeal Shampoo | Bella was born with dry skin, when she was really little she had crazy bad dandruff. So, we bought her this shampoo and I think it really helped to soothe her dry skin. This is also great to have when puppy skin starts to dry out in the winter. If your puppy starts to scratch a lot, it might be time for a bath. 

Gosh I hope this post doesn't make me sound like too much of a crazy dog mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment