Friday, December 14, 2012

Pain Au Chocolat

After four months of studying in France I am itching to get home! There are a few things that I am going to miss though. One of those things being boulangeries on every corner. I mean fresh bread and every patisserie you can imagine, how can you go wrong? I'm especially going to miss this little one euro treat: pain au chocolate.

I seriously have one of these at least three times a week and if I'm super lucky my mère d'accueille (host mom) leaves them for breakfast. I have already been scheming how I'm going to get my fix when I'm back in America. I've been looking around and this seems like an easy option that will taste a little more authentic than crescent rolls and chocolate (my original idea). 

Ingredients: 

  • 2 sheets frozen puff pastry (one 17.3-ounce package), thawed, each sheet cut into 12 squares
  • 1 large egg beaten to blend with 1 tablespoon water (for glaze)
  • 4 3.5-ounce bars imported bittersweet or milk chocolate, each cut into six 2x3/4-inch pieces

Preparation: 

Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush top of each puff pastry square with egg glaze. Place 1 chocolate piece on edge of 1 pastry square. Roll up dough tightly, enclosing chocolate. Repeat with remaining pastry and chocolate. Place pastry rolls on baking sheet, seam side down. 

Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush tops of pastry rolls with remaining egg glaze. Bake until pastries are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
So if anyone tries this before I get home next week let me know how it works out. Until then I will be stuffing my face with the real thing. 





No comments:

Post a Comment