Thursday, June 20, 2013

Reuben

Reubens are my go to diner sandwich. They are actually one of the most delicious sandwiches ever! They are, admittedly, a bit bizarre though. They are made with corned beef, swiss cheese and sauerkraut.

Up until recently, I only ever ate them when I went out to eat. Honestly, the thought of making them at home never crossed my mind...until earlier this summer when I had an insane craving for them. So the boyfriend and I whipped up a few with a side of beet chips. It was a quick and easy dinner, and perfect for enjoying outside....


(and with a side of scotch for the boyfriend)

Here's how we made everything. 

Reuben Sandwich: 
Corned beef
Sauerkraut (canned is fine)
Thousand Island Dressing
Swiss cheese
Rye bread

There isn't a set amount of ingredients or a real recipe for this sandwich, add as much or as little of everything. You should heat the sauerkraut in the microwave or on the stove top. While you are doing this heat the corned beef in a frying pan. Then butter the bread (like you would for a grilled cheese) and assemble everything on the sandwich. Be careful flipping, they have a tendency to fall apart (see the second picture above). Don't forget the dressing! 

Beet Chips
Beets 
Olive Oil
Salt 

First, thinly slice the beets. A mandolin or the slicing attachment on a food processor would be best for this. We just sliced them using a knife and they ended up a little to thick to get really crunchy. Spread them out on a baking sheet and top with olive oil and salt. We have found that low heat for a longer period of time works better. Trying to cook it on high heat leaves the edges burnt and the center mushy.  Even if they don't quite get crispy, I still think they're a great side. But I love beets so you could say I'm a little biased! 

These sandwiched turned out great and are super easy! I highly recommend them. 

What have you been cooking lately? 


2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this combination (or a reuben!) before, I don't think its something we have in the UK.. but sounds yummy I might give it a try! Over here its full-on soggy bap, bbq season - Brits grumble and moan about our dismal weather but we still crack out the burgers and pimms, rain or not!

    aninetiesbaby.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to let me know how you like it! Its definitely a unique sandwich

      Delete