Sunday, November 17, 2013

Back up

Sorry about my lack of posts this weekend. Friday afternoon, my computer hard drive completely died. I was using it fine one minute and the next I had the spinning beach ball of doom. You know the one. Anyway, this wasn't super unusual. I just restarted my computer but it would not restart. Being the moderate computer geek that I am, I rebooted it to the disk utility and ran some diagnostics and I had a hard drive error that I couldn't fix running disk repair. Ugh! I knew this was not good news and I had a sinking suspicion that my hard drive had died.

After school I took my laptop straight to my college's tech people. They verified my fears and added on the worst news any college student could ever receive. They could not recover ANYTHING from my hard drive! Lucky for me I back up my computer somewhat regularly to an external hard drive. The crew at the tech office told me that 99% of the people that come into their office don't back up at all!

Anyway even though I'm kicking myself for not backing up the past month, at least I avoided a serious disaster of losing everything I've ever done for the last 5 years. So, I ordered a new hard drive which will be here on Tuesday and hopefully putting everything back onto my computer goes smoothly.

So, let this be a lesson to anyone out there reading this. Back up your computer and do it regularly! Seriously, it is not that expensive to buy an external hard drive. And if you have a Mac like I do, it is so easy to set up back ups using Time Machine. Your computer will literally do all of the work for you!

There are also several cloud options that will automatically back up for you for a small monthly price.

Anyway I will not be able to post much until my computer is back up and running. I'm currently working on an ancient loaner computer which takes forever to do anything. Photoshop? Forget about it! So, hopefully everything goes according to plan and I'll be back Tuesday or Wednesday.

Does anyone have a good system for backing up their computer?

2 comments:

  1. Well for backing stuff up I usually use a flash drive so all the important things like pictures and documents are saved. I love your blog I just followed! :)))

    http://thepreppysisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete