Monday, October 21, 2013

Running

Over the summer I had a lot of free time after work, so I started running. I am completely the type of person that never goes to the gym and finds working out boring. I never thought I would become a runner, but lo and behold after a few months of running most days I was able to run pretty far. I was extremely proud of myself and as summer neared its end I promised myself that once the semester started I would keep running. I failed miserably. Once I started student teaching began I was too exhausted to even think about running.

Then, this weekend I just had enough. I was stressed and restless and sick of being inside working while the weather outside was absolutely gorgeous! So I put away my work and went for a run and it felt awful, haha! Not running for two months will do that to you. While I didn't feel good while I was running (or like 20 minutes after), I felt accomplished and at least a little de-stressed. It was nice to turn off the teaching part of my brain and just focus on running.

I have no expectations that I will keep running consistently during the week, I'm just too tired and I always have a ton of work to do. However, I do hope that I can find the motivation at least on the weekends.

Sappy personal story aside, I thought I would throw in some of my work out recommendations. Sometimes I feel like a splurging on clothes is fine, workout clothes are not one of those times (except good sneakers, those are a must). Seriously why would I spend a lot of money on something I'm just going to sweat in? My go to for workout clothes lately has been Target. They have seriously great stuff that is pretty good quality and reasonably priced. Plus its just as cute as the expensive stuff. You can't beat that!



1. T-shirt | Simple and cute plus it comes in a lot of colors.

2. Leggings | This one seems pretty self explanatory. As the weather cools down, its time to put away the shorts in favor of something a little warmer. A simple black legging does the trick.

3. Headbands | I love these bright headbands to keep my hair out of my face.

4. Nike Revolution Sneakers | I really like these sneakers. They weren't super expensive but they are good quality and they look good if I wear them when I'm not working out.

5. Apps | I like to use Runkeeper to track my runs. Unfortunately this app works using GPS so its not very helpful when you move inside. I've never found this to be a huge drawback because the treadmill keeps track of that anyway. This app is easy to use and offers workout plans from beginner to advanced. I also use the NPR app when I'm running. Most people listen to music during a workout, but I prefer to listen to NPR. Why not catch up on the news while I'm running? Besides it gives me something else to focus on other than how miserably out of shape I am.

6. Brk Glass Water Bottle | I LOVE this water bottle. Its a little more expensive than most water bottles but it is worth every penny! It is the perfect size and shape. Plus I have really been in to replacing glass with plastic. Its just so much better for you, no nasty chemicals leaking into your water (this is especially important for people like me who leaves water bottles sitting around for days and then drinks them).


When your run looks like this why wouldn't you want to keep going? 

2 comments: