Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Crème Brûlée

Crème brûlée is one of my favorite deserts. Unfortunately, my taste is more expensive than my wallet can afford. I only get to partake in this luscious dessert once in a blue moon...until now! 

I'm lucky I have a boyfriend that likes to cook with me, and is pretty adventurous in the kitchen. So, when I suggested we make crème brûlée he said sure. And so we did, and it was awesome! It was actually surprisingly easy too! 

The recipe we followed can be found here. Its a pretty dumbed down version of the real thing, no heating and double broiling required. I swear pretty much anyone can make this recipe. 

5 Egg yolks
2 Cups heavy cream 
1/2 Cup sugar
1 1/2 Teaspoons of vanilla 


First separate 5 eggs and use only the yolks, save the whites for a yummy omelette. 


Whisk together the eggs and sugar until they're smooth


Add cream and vanilla, mix gently you don't want to add any air bubble to the mix 


Place custard in ramekins and then in a casserole dish with water at the bottom. Bake at 325 for about an hour. Be sure to check the mixture after about 45-50 mins. When the custard is done you should be able to insert a knife and have it come out clean (Ours was never completely clean but it turned out fine). 


After cooking the custard let the ramekins cool and then refrigerate for an hour or so (DO NOT put hot ramekins in the fridge! They could break). Then sprinkle some sugar on the top and torch it! I let my boyfriend do this part, he used a regular blow torch but they make special ones for the kitchen. 

If you don't have a torch you can sprinkle sugar on top and then broil them in the oven for 2-5 mins. Place the ramekins back in the casserole dish with ice water so they don't get too hot and crack. 

These turned out amazingly delicious, not as beautiful as the restaurant variety but it tasted just as good! Sorry I didn't get a picture of this finished product, they were too good to stop eating and photograph. 

P.S. The photo quality isn't great because our kitchen has horrible lighting and we did this after dark. I hope its good enough to get the idea. 



6 comments:

  1. Oh wow you are so right it does look so easy to make (and super delicious too!). This would be perfect for a holiday party dessert, thanks for sharing girlfriend!
    -Alex
    http://www.monstermisa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great for parties! This recipe make four servings but I imagine it would be easy to double.

      Katie

      Delete
  2. Oh that looks absolutely delicious, I am going to have to try it :) Thanks for sharing!

    http://thepreppysisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite desserts, but I've never made it. I'm surprised because it actually doesn't look too hard. Maybe I'll give it a shot soon (after I get a torch, because that sounds way more fun than the oven lol)!

    jess | Quaintrelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the perfect gift to yourself for the holidays! The gift that keeps on giving

      Katie

      Delete